By Cameron Chai
The 100th static synchronous compensator (STATCOM) solution has been sold by AMSC to Iberdrola Renewables, LLC that deals with renewable energy projects in the US. Towards the end of this year, AMSC's D-VAR system will be utilized by Iberdrola Renewables to connect the Groton Wind Farm comprising 48 MW to the power grid present in central New Hampshire. AMSC's Middleton, Wisconsin facility has been selected for manufacturing the STATCOM.
The benefits of using AMSC's D-VAR STATCOM systems include:
- STATCOM systems correct voltage fluctuations on transmission networks.
- Power factor control and regulation and exact state voltage on distribution and transmission networks are provided by the STATCOM systems.
- A cost effective and powerful source of reactive power is provided by the STATCOM systems.
- STATCOM systems enable supporting a stable interconnection point for large-scale solar and wind farms and generation facilities that are distributed.
- Industrial facilities keen on obtaining superior power quality are protected by the STATCOM systems.
- The STATCOM systems when installed in a renewable generation facility’s substation help in connecting the plant to the power grid in an efficient and safe manner.
- The power grid is constantly monitored by the STATCOM systems and the voltage is instantly and automatically stabilized in order to transfer power with increased efficiency and reliability through power lines. This monitoring process takes place when the STATCOM systems are used on a distribution or transmission system.
Voltage fluctuations occurring due to start-up problems faced by energy-intensive processes in industrial facilities can be corrected by the reactive compensation solutions of the STATCOM systems. The STATCOM systems are capable of stabilizing and supporting voltage and they also ensure providing superior power quality when placed at a load connection point.