For hybrid and electric vehicles, lithium-ion has become the preferred battery chemistry. However, the process of making these batteries can be complex and expensive.
The Thermo Scientific™ LInspector Measurement and Control System can help satisfy consumer demand for precise electrode coating weight measurement and accurate thickness measurement of multilayer separator film and calendered electrodes.
The LInspector Measurement and Control System ensures efficient production of reliable and high-quality materials by combining sensor precision and reporting capabilities to improve the consistency and safety of lithium-ion batteries.
It is the latest product in the extensive line of gauging solutions from Thermo Fisher Scientific and was created especially for the production of electrode and separator film materials used in lithium-ion batteries.
Offering a selection of beta, x-ray and confocal sensor solutions, LInspector Measurement and Control System is at the forefront of sensor technology.
Shift, roll, and production reports, heat map and zoom displays, defect mapping, SPC/QC control charts, and 3D profile displays are just some of the analytics and reporting tools available and help battery manufacturers to easily detect defects and non-conformities in real-time and avoid the production of out-of-spec battery cell components.
The LInspector Measurement and Control System ensures precise measurement throughout the complete electrode and separator film manufacturing process, whether for high-speed thickness measurement of strip, continuous, or patch coatings, precise high-resolution measurement of calendered electrodes or accurate thickness measurement of separator film layers in dry and wet processes.
Its combination of innovative technology, sensor precision, and advanced reporting capabilities provides battery manufacturers with an unprecedented single source, end-to-end measurement, and control solution for electrode and separator film materials, allowing them to offer best-in-class lithium-ion battery products.
- Separator film, electrode coating, and calendering application packages
- Suitable for strip, patch, or continuous coatings
- Coating weight and calendering thickness control
- Suitable for wet and dry separator film processes
- Excellent differential coat weight measurement ensured by SameSpot sensor head synchronization
- Combined mass balance mapping for optimum separator film Automatic Profile Control
One or more scanners, sensor(s), and a control system (where applicable) specially designed for the application are included in the LInspector Measurement and Control System:
- Separator film: Thermo Scientific™ X-Ray Master Direct Thickness Sensor or Thermo Scientific™ MKIII Scanner and Thermo Scientific™ Beta Plus Basis Weight
- Electrode calendering: Thermo Scientific™ INTEGRA C-Frame Scanner with Dual Confocal Sensor
- Electrode coating: Thermo Scientific™ INTEGRA O-Frame Scanner and Beta Plus Basis Weight or X-Ray Master Direct Thickness Sensor
- Dell OptiPlex XE3 Pc
- Wonderware Intouch Visualization Software Version 14 R2