This research focuses on an innovative materials technology that allows the entrapment of biocidal organic compounds in biocidal silver resulting in the formation of a powerful antibacterial composite called SilverPlus. These silver composites perform better than silver alone and their material properties ensure that they be used for disinfecting closed loop re- circulating water systems and to obtain drinking water during emergencies.
The research is of interest to fields such as environmental, cleantech and water technologies. The prototype for this research has been completed and PCT patent application has been filed.
A device prototype that will help disinfect a recirculating water system has been developed utilizing a novel biocidal silver composite.
The key features of this technology include the following:
- Novel antibacterial compositions based on normally used active substances
- Controlled release of the organic biocidal agents that are entrapped in silver
- Synergetic microbiocidal activity
- Minimized environmental fingerprints and burdens
- Residual disinfection abilities in the treated water systems
This technology has potential applications in the following:
- Industrial hot and cold water systems
- Hospital hot water systems
- Swimming pools
Currently, opportunities are being sought to enable funding and commercialization of the technique to enable continued research and development.
Disclaimer: The views expressed here are those of the interviewee and do not necessarily represent the views of AZoM.com Limited (T/A) AZoNetwork, the owner and operator of this website. This disclaimer forms part of the Terms and Conditions of use of this website.