Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released by pesticides can cause adverse health and environmental effects when they exceed a specific concentration level. This issue, in turn, can initiate legal action. On-site monitoring that can detect lowest levels is the suitable method to ensure whether the level of VOCs is within regulatory limits. It is difficult to measure VOC level in the field. RJ Lee Group provides advanced solutions for VOC analysis. The company’s new mobile proton-transfer reaction mass spectrometer (PTR-MS) is an ideal instrument to address this challenge.
Challenge in Monitoring VOCs
When VOCs emitted from pesticides exceed a certain concentration level, they may result in harmful health effects that can prompt legal action. Measuring the level of VOCs in the field is a challenge that can be addressed with the PTR-MS.
VOCs are vapors or gases released by certain liquids or solids. They often become the subject of concern in legal action. Some VOCs are potentially toxic, while others may not contain known risks during exposure. However, it is useful to detect VOC level to determine possible spoilage in meats and monitor drug effects non-invasively.
Although effective monitoring of VOC level is essential, there is a distinct technical challenge to be addressed. It is not always possible to deploy existing analytical techniques on-site or in real-time. Hence, detection of VOC level often relies on indirect and less quantitative solutions like specially trained canines.
Advantages of PTR-MS
At workplaces, the PTR-MS is capable of providing on-site measurement of VOC levels that may cause health risks to workers. With the help of this instrument, a trained expert can assess the potential risk of exposure to those levels of VOCs. The highly sensitive device helps RJ Lee Group’s scientists to perform on-site field measurements at virtually any location. Besides providing real-time detection of VOCs, the device provides data on change in their concentrations by location or time.
The PTR-MS can be used on-site at workplaces to measure VOC concentrations that may put workers at risk and, when used by a trained expert, can be used to assess potential risk of exposure to those VOCs.
The PTR-MS not only allows for absolute quantification and monitoring of VOCs, but also provides effective VOC analysis in otherwise challenging applications.
Applications of PTR-MS
Together with case-appropriate expertise, the PTR-MS provides data that paves the way to previously inaccessible avenues to legal and scientific insight. This novel technology is useful in applications including air quality, health monitoring and food safety.
- Determining and measuring fugitive emissions and VOC emissions on-site from process equipment for drill rigs, petroleum refineries, power plants, and chemical producers, to name a few.
- Identifying the chemical composition of an unknown emission or odor in a building or residence, identifying the source, and evaluating the potential risk of exposure
- Monitoring roadside VOC leaks generated by motor vehicles
- Determining the presence of black mold and other mold contamination in indoor environments
- To monitor a patient’s exhaled breath for detecting varying VOC levels as a diagnostic biomarker to monitor disease activity such as assessment of a pathological process or pharmacological response
- Risk assessment for health care workers when exposed to anesthetic gases in hospitals, or for field workers when exposed to toxic vapors during unsafe operations such as environmental clean-up
- For rapid and accurate detection of microbial spoilage in produce storage facilities, fermentation vat, and highly automated food processing environments
About RJ Lee Group
For nearly 30 years, RJ Lee Group, Inc. has excelled at providing analytical services, technical consulting, information management, and expert testimony in materials characterization and forensic engineering. Our services are sought by leading organizations in academia, industry, and government. Clients choose RJLG because of our reputation as an innovative solutions firm that is reliable, ethical, and committed to quality. The end result is outstanding customer satisfaction.
RJ Lee Group applies the most appropriate and efficient testing methods to deliver scientific resolution for a wide range of industries.Using state-of-the-art analytics, our multidisciplinary staff addresses diverse needs — including regulatory compliance, quality control, materials R&D, industrial hygiene and environmental health and safety.
- Construction Materials
- Criminal Forensics
- Energy & Utilities
- Medical Device
- Metals & Alloys
- Mining & Minerals
- Specialty Chemicals & Coatings
RJ Lee Group defines our expertise as the capabilities of those who day in and day out verify the established, expose the concealed, investigate the problem, provide the solution and confront the unknown.
- Research & Development
- Field Surveys, Evaluations & Sampling
- Materials Characterization
- Post-Disaster Assessments
- Particle Characterization
- Corrosion Analysis
- Materials Selection
- Failure Analysis
- Data Analytics
- Related RJ Lee Group Inc. (RJLG) News
- Raman Technology Added By RJ Lee Group Laboratory
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by RJ Lee Group.
For more information on this source, please visit RJ Lee Group.