Under its Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) with Ovid-Elsie Area Schools, Ameresco has commenced the energy saving project at the schools.
Through this $1.1 million worth ESPC contract, Ovid-Elsie Area Schools, located in central Michigan, is anticipated to achieve over $85,000 in annual savings as well as facility improvements at all its locations. Ovid-Elsie Area Schools’ administration building and four schools, namely Ovid-Elsie High School, Ovid-Elsie Middle School, E. Knight Elementary School, and the Leonard Elementary School, will be upgraded as part of this comprehensive energy project.
Ovid-Elsie Area Schools leveraged Qualified Zone Academy Bonds, which offer a near-zero percent interest rate to the schools, to fund this energy saving project. As per an ESPC, Ameresco assures energy cost savings during the period of contract, which will pay off the upfront expenses with a part of its estimated annual savings during the 15-year term of the contract.
The improvements in this comprehensive energy saving project will include:
- New lower ceilings in the Middle School to enhance lighting, decrease the echo, and achieve energy savings owing to reduced space to heat
- Installation of an advanced plumbing system to cut down water usage, wastewater generation, and hot water energy consumption
- Insulation improvements to bring down energy expenses throughout the Schools’ locations
- New high-efficiency boilers in place of old boilers
- Implementation of advanced automation program to manage environment and energy
Installation of a high-tech lighting system to upgrade or replace roughly 370 existing fixtures
Ameresco will also conduct energy awareness training to facilitate Ovid-Elsie Area Schools create energy and sustainability standards throughout the campus.