Coca-Cola Enterprises (NYSE: CCE) announced today that it has set goals for its five strategic Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability (CRS) focus areas and has committed to achieving these goals by the year 2020 - what the company is calling "Commitment 2020."
"Even during difficult economic times, our commitment to CRS has never been stronger, and our quantifiable Commitment 2020 goals demonstrate the progress we are making on our journey," said John F. Brock, chairman and chief executive officer. "We have been recognized as a CRS leader in the global Coca-Cola system, and by embedding CRS into every aspect of our business, we are working to meet or exceed the expectations of our retail customers and consumers."
CCE also reiterated its participation in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Climate Leaders program, an industry-government partnership that works to develop comprehensive climate change strategies. As a partner in the EPA Climate Leaders, CCE has pledged to reduce its company-wide greenhouse gas emissions and will annually report its progress to the EPA.
Commitment 2020 Goals
CCE's Commitment 2020 goals for its five strategic CRS focus areas are:
- Energy Conservation/Climate Change: Reduce the overall carbon footprint of our business operations by 15 percent by 2020, as compared to our 2007 baseline.
- Water Stewardship: Establish a water-sustainable operation in which we minimize our water use and have a water-neutral impact on the local communities in which we operate, by safely returning the amount of water equivalent to what we use in our beverages and their production to these local communities.
- Sustainable Packaging/Recycling: Reduce the impact of our packaging; maximize our use of renewable, reusable, and recyclable resources; and recover the equivalent of 100 percent of our packaging.
- Product Portfolio/Well-Being: Provide refreshing beverages for every lifestyle and occasion, while helping consumers make informed beverage choices.
- Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Create a culture where diversity is valued, every employee is a respected member of the team, and our workforce is a reflection of the communities in which we operate.