AU Optronics Corp. today unveiled its "Green Solutions" initiative, a company-wide mission to practice green innovations, green procurement, green production, green logistics, green service, and green recycling that are all created and used in an environmentally friendly manner.
In addition, AUO has developed comprehensive energy-saving initiatives that are to be utilized over the coming three years -- termed the "Green 2010" eco-efficiency indexes. These indexes will assist AUO in continually striving to reduce the environmental impact of the work it does and the products it creates. AUO is also extending its green awareness across the value chain to include relationships with suppliers. The "Green 2010" goals are absolute and include an 80% waste recovery rate achievement, a 70% reduction from 2004 levels by 2010 in water consumption per substrate size, and a 70% reduction from 2004 levels by 2010 in greenhouse gas emissions per substrate size.
"Protecting and preserving the environment is very important. AUO is proud to be the first company in the TFT-LCD industry to make a long-term commitment to improve products, supply chains and the manufacturing process in a way that will reduce environmental impact," said Dr. LJ Chen, AUO President. "We want environmental responsibility to reach all parts of AUO. We will strive to develop and create any possible ways that not only improve a TFT-LCD manufacturer's operations and bottom line, but improve our environmental footprint as well."
Dr. LJ Chen continued by stating that "AUO recognizes effective environmental management as a global corporate priority, and is actively involved in environmental innovations and initiatives."
Under the core value of "Green DNA," the "AUO Green Solutions" initiative includes six categories:
- Green Innovation -- Implement full level eco-design; Incorporate environment criteria into design of new products
- Green Procurement -- Enhance green supply chain management; Comply with most international green product requirements, e.g. WEEE, RoHS, EuP.
- Green Production -- Develop new processes with low environmental impacts, e.g. carbon emission reduction; Advance energy/water savings and waste reduction management
- Green Logistics -- Use environment-friendly packing materials; Practice green logistics systems, resulting in lower exhaust emissions and lower fuel consumption
- Green Service -- Offer Green panels and on-site service; Provide Eco-friendly know-how / strategy to partners
- Green Recycling -- Improve material recycling ratio; Increase waste recovery rate
At AUO, a number of initiatives, known as the "Green DNA" campaign, have been launched with the aim of raising green awareness and helping reduce environmental impact among more than 43,000 employees worldwide. Beyond spreading green consciousness, AUO has been working hard on energy efficiency and making its business environmentally sustainable. Examples include replacing disposable paper cups with porcelain cups, using eco-friendly cutlery and chopsticks, reducing e-mail sent and business travel by establishing IT communication platforms, and implementing factory green plans and tree-planting activities.
Today, AUO also received Taiwan's first-ever certificate of Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) from the Environment and Development Foundation in recognition of its efforts in environment protection initiatives. This certificate also demonstrates that the Taiwan-based panel maker has achieved a significant milestone in its commitment to the environment.