Posted in | Solar Energy | Green Energy

HACSB and HelioPower Complete Multifamily Affordable Solar Housing Project in California

HelioPower and the Housing Authority of the County of San Bernardino (HACSB) have completed the Multifamily Affordable Solar Housing (MASH) Track 2 grant project in California. At Maplewood Homes, HACSB dedicated the solar power system as part of its “70 & Solar” celebrations.

HELIOPOWER, INC. MASH TRACK 2 GRANT SAN BERNARDINO & MURRIETA, CA - Southern California Edison awarded its first and largest MASH Track 2 Grant ($1,840,000) to the Housing Authority of San Bernardino for Maplewood Homes solar project by HelioPower. Source: HACSB. (PRNewsFoto/HelioPower, Inc.)

Maplewood Homes is located at 1738 West 9th Street, San Bernardino and is an affordable housing community, comprising 296 housing units with over 1100 residents. Maplewood Homes’ families spend $572 annually for electricity. All of the clean energy generated from the solar photovoltaic facility is dedicated for use by the residents. Annually the community will be saving around 30% or $166 per unit through the solar power generated energy.

A 302 kW DC solar photovoltaic facility has been installed, which is expected to offset over 1500 kWh per unit every year. Of the production 85% goes to the tenants, while the other 15% is channeled through energy savings on the common areas. It will also support on-site employment. The MASH Track 2 grant has supported this installation.

HelioPower has installed solar power systems on two community buildings and 98 residences. The savings from green energy generated from the common areas will be monetized to fund green job training programs. HACSB was awarded the $1,840,000 grant in 2010 by Southern California Edison for this project, which involved solar retrofits on top of 100 community's rooftops, solar production monitoring, green outreach, green job training and creation.


Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback