In honor of Earth Day, New York-based JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq: JBLU) is encouraging customers, crewmembers and communities across its network to join the airline and pledge to do One Thing That's Green to protect the environment. Just by making small changes to daily habits, everyone can help make the world a greener place. With a goal of inspiring 22,000 individuals to make pledges via www.jetblue.com/pledge, the initiative is part of JetBlue's Jetting to Green environmental commitment.
"No matter what your stance is on today's environmental issues, there's no question that a cleaner, greener planet is good for all of us," said Icema Gibbs, director corporate social responsibility for JetBlue Airways. "Just by making small changes in your daily habits, you can help make the world a greener place."
JetBlue is taking action in a number of ways, the first being offsetting crewmember travel on company business for the second consecutive year with a contribution to partner Carbonfund.org. Customers may also choose to offset the carbon emissions of their flights by visiting www.carbonfund.org/jetblue.
This month JetBlue will take the next step to expand its recycling initiatives. Crewmembers and customers on flights inbound to JFK, the value airline's largest operational base, will have the option while still in the air to presort plastic, glass and cans for recycling. This will enhance recycling initiatives already in place for trash removed from aircraft after a flight and collected at airport terminals across the airline's network. In the future, this volunteer in-flight program will be rolled out to additional routes in the JetBlue network.
Across the airline's network, crewmembers joined with local communities this month to perform activities designed to help protect the environment. In New York City, JetBlue's hometown, 500 crewmembers and community members did their One Thing That's Green by planting 300 trees on April 18.
To celebrate Earth Day, individuals may enter the One Thing That's Green sweepstakes at www.jetblue.com/pledge for the chance to win a variety of eco-friendly prizes (a). Sweepstakes entries received through midnight EDT on June 16, 2009 will be eligible to win the following prizes (a):
- Grand Prize: 2010 3rd Generation Toyota Prius featuring cutting-edge style, advanced equipment, enhanced performance, superior fuel economy and ultra-low emissions (1 winner).
- First Prize: HGTV Green Room Makeover including a professional and personalized consultation by an HGTV host (1 winner).
- Second Prize: Stylish and contemporary suite of ENERGY STAR qualified stainless steel kitchen appliances by Amana, including a range, oven range microwave, side-by-side refrigerator, and dish washer, plus a front load washer and front load dryer (1 winner).
- Third Prize: Three-night trip for two to The Boulders Resort & Golden Door Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona. Enjoy deluxe accommodations, private guided hiking tours and an organic tasting menu at the Eco-friendly resort (2 winners).
- Fourth Prize: Dell Studio Hybrid(TM) desktop PC with 19" widescreen flat panel monitor and bamboo sleeve. Dell's greenest, most power-efficient consumer desktop offers ultra-compact design with Intel mobile technology performance and includes slot-load DVD and HDMI port (1 winner).
- Fifth Prize: Bionaire(R) PERMAtech(R) Mini Tower Air Purifier and Ultrasonic Vase Humidifier to help create a healthier home environment (10 winners).
In addition, every individual making a One Thing That's Green pledge will receive free access to one annual digital magazine subscription or book through Zinio's Read Green Initiative. Zinio allows reading, searching and sharing of readers' favorite magazines by having them delivered to their computers.
Created in 2008, Jetting to Green is a platform that allows JetBlue to encourage environmentally friendly practices through education and volunteerism. The airline also strives to reduce its own carbon footprint whenever possible. Last year, in addition to significantly reducing headset waste, JetBlue improved its recycling programs at corporate locations and offset all corporate business travel by making a donation to its partner Carbonfund.org. More information about Jetting to Green, including our inaugural environmental and social report, is available online at www.jetblue.com/green.